The Kansas City Star
University of Kansas beat reporter (Feb. 2007 - present);
High school enterprise reporter (August 2005 - Jan. 2007);
Johnson County bureau reporter (April 2005 - August 2005)
- Placed third in the Sports Writing category of the 2008 National Headliner Awards for a collection of five stories from 2007.
- Named the first-place winner in the 2008 Missouri Press Association writing contest for sports feature writing.
- Received two writing awards from the Football Writers Association of America in 2008, becoming one of five writers nationally to receive double-mention in the contest.
- Placed fourth place for feature writing in the 2008 United States Basketball Writers Association writing contest.
- In 2006, 2007 and 2008, reported on team projects that placed in the top 10 in the Associated Press Sports Editors' Writing Contest.
- Covered the most successful athletic year in Kansas history, chronicling the men's basketball teams run to the 2008 national championship and the football teams unlikely rise to 2008 Orange Bowl champion.
- Co-authored Unstoppable: The Kansas Jayhawks' Journey to the NCAA Title, a coffee-table style book published immediately after the 2008 Final Four.
- In 2008, broke stories locally on the NFL Draft defections of two KU players and the hiring of a new defensive coordinator.
- In addition to KU duties, covered the Masters Tournament in 2007 and 2009 and the U.S. Open in 2008.
- Wrote high school enterprise stories, as well as general assignment takeouts on Chiefs, Royals and national stories.
- Won 2006 Kansas City Association of Black Journalists award for Most Outstanding Sports Feature for a story about the integration of a public golf course in 1955.
- Completed 10-story series on high school football during the fall of 2006, focusing on the men, women and traditions that make Friday night football unique.
Internships and College
Dallas Morning News (Fall 2004)
San Antonio Express-News (Summer '04)
Tampa Tribune (Summer '03)
Michigan Daily (January 2001 - April 2004)
- Received honorable mention in ESPN The Magazine's 2004 College Journalism Awards.
- Covered the Michigan football team for two years.
University of Michigan
- Earned Bachelor of Arts degree with Distinction (sociology major, statistics minor) with a G.P.A. of 3.66.
1) Mike Fannin, Editor, The Kansas City Star
816-234-4345 (work), firstname.lastname@example.org
2) Derek Samson, Colleges Editor, Sporting News,
3) Wright Thompson, former enterprise writer at The Star (now with ESPN.com and ESPN The Magazine)